Work Zone Accidents and Employer Responsibility for Workers’ Comp


This year, National Work Zone Awareness Week took place from April 19th to the 23rd. In South Carolina, the theme was “Let ‘em work. Let ‘em live.” Throughout that week, drivers across the state passed signs with the slogan. At highway rest stops and information centers, attendants dressed like construction workers shared information about safe driving and preventing construction zone accidents.


It is well worth the time to slow down. If caught speeding in a South Carolina construction zone, drivers could face up to $200 dollars in fines — regardless of whether any construction workers are visible. State troopers will pull you over and fine you.


Why all the fuss about work zone awareness?


In 2008, there were 720 fatal construction zone accidents across the country. While that number continues the steady decrease in work zone fatalities witnessed over the past few years, it is still higher than it ought to be. Most of these construction zone fatalities occur because of driver negligence — either ignoring signs to slow down or not paying attention to changes made to the road.


Other times, work injuries are caused by poor working conditions, faulty equipment or unsafe practice.


For workers injured in construction accidents, on the road or otherwise, the path to recovery can be hard. In the most severe cases, the worker may never fully recover. It is important, in these situations, that employers act responsibly and quickly in addressing workers’ compensation claims to ensure the injured worker can receive appropriate treatment.


In South Carolina, you must alert your employer immediately following an injury on the job. If necessary, request hospital treatment. You must report your work injury within 90 days, as failure to do so could result in loss of workers’ compensation benefits.


In terms of medical benefits following a work injury, you are entitled to any treatment that is likely to decrease your disability. Whether you are simply need a cast or require a permanent prosthetic device, you should be covered by workers’ compensation.


If your employer does not provide adequate service, disputes your request for medical treatment, or is otherwise unresponsive, you may file a claim for benefits with the South Caroline Workers’ Compensation Commission. You have two years from the time of the injury to file this claim.


Call 803-799-2100 for a Free Consultation

Contact us for a free consultation as early in the process as possible.